Friday, May 18, 2007

Truely Dependent

Got our American Visas yesterday... Charis and I are going to the States on Dependent Visas. Now, I'm officially a dependent!

It was a difficult decision for me to quit my professional job last Sept, partly for fear of losing my own identity, partly for fear of falling behind societal expectations. I guess with, so called, female liberation, financial independence and achieving the identity of a modern-woman have taken centre stage in the minds of many women today. This independence comes with such a great sense of power and freedom... it's so difficult to let go! Eventually, I made a decision to let go, but tried to make up for it by seaching for things-to-do, like giving piano lessons and taking up book keeping at TK's company.

But as I ponder this through, this thought crossed my mind. Aren't we all dependents? Regardless of who we are or what we do, we are all dependents of our Heavenly Father. Our identities are significant only in Him. Our very existence on this earth is dependent on Him! Perhaps, only when you have nothing then will you learn to appreciate and treasure your dependence on the sovereign one above.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matt 6:26

No comments: